Wednesday 29 May 2013

Britain's coast

I am watching a programme 'Coast' which gives a fascinating insight into the coastline of Britain. The history, stories and the science makes for a diverse and intriguing snapshot of our history and culture as islanders. There is science behind the singing sands - sands that squeak when you walk across the beach. Cliffs, sand, pebbles, rocks, plants and creatures not to mention the people who add their flavour and sense of space and place. Then there are the stories of industry and shipping through the ages. Exciting tales of smugglers and terrifying stories of storms and ship wrecks all provide plenty of fuel for the imagination. Perfect for historical novelists looking for intriguing locations for their stories. Fascinating stuff. Makes me want to jump in the car and explore. I wonder how long it would take to drive around the whole coastline?

The rather blurry picture (purposely atmospheric of course) is of Branscombe beach in Devon taken in April of this year. What is sadly not very clear is the silhouette of cyclist balancing on one wheel on top of a very large rock as the sunset behind him. Oh how I wish I had more than my phone with me - my slr camera with telephoto lens would have been much better. Oh well maybe another day I will be luckier.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment